Jun
23

Going to Pot

When
June 23, 2017 - 9:00 AM
Where
Northwest Oregon Regional Partnership
6820 Barrack Circle
Tillamook, OR

NORP volunteers at an earlier event.
NORP volunteers at an earlier event.

The Northwest Oregon Regional Partnership (NORP) operates a native plant nursery which supplies the restoration efforts of more than 30 organizations by coordinating the propagation and distribution of over 75,000 native plants annually for landscape-scale watershed restoration projects implemented by its partners on private, state, and public lands.  Plants are propagated from local seed and cuttings. The result is plant stock that is able to thrive and out-compete invasive species in restoration efforts across northwest Oregon.

Volunteers are sought for a labor day during which plants will be potted.  From 9 a.m.-3 p.m., volunteers from throughout the region will help to get the next generation of native plants going, while enjoying fellowship and a free pizza lunch.  This takes place at the NORP Nursery, 6820 Barrack Circle in Tillamook.  Bring your own gloves, water bottle and rain gear. If the weather is bad, they do have covered areas to work.

NORP relies mostly on volunteer labor to grow and transplant restoration plant material. Each organization that works with NORP is required to volunteer 18 hours of time to help in the effort. This allows NORP to provide plant material at a reduced rate, with organizations paying for 25% of the cost of the plants and the other 75% qualifying as in-kind match on outside grants.  If you support a watershed council or other conservation group that uses NORP’s native plants to restore waterways, you can assist your organization in qualifying. 

Those in the Newport area are invited to RSVP to Evan Hayduk of the MidCoast Watersheds Council (evan@midcoastwatershedscouncil.org or 541-265-9195) before June 22nd if you plan on attending.  Carpooling is being arranged.